Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ramsey: We'll win Carling Cup


AARON RAMSEY is confident Arsenal's young guns have what it takes to win this season's Carling Cup.


The Welsh midfielder is set to make his first start of the season in tonight's clash with Championship leaders West Brom.



Gunners manager Arsene Wenger is renowned for blooding youngsters in the competition and will continue with that policy at the Emirates this evening.



And 18-year-old Ramsey claims he and his team-mates will repay the faith Wenger is showing in them by going on to win the trophy.



He said: "Of course it is a competition we can win, even if the manager fields a young team. We can win any competition.



"No matter what the side is, we have the same mentality to win every game and to win every competition if we can."



Ramsey added: "It is good that the manager uses the competition to give some youngsters a chance and it is a good opportunity for us to show what we can do.



"It gives us experience and helps us to get used to the surroundings and big crowds."



The Wales international has made six appearances as a substitute so far this term and feels he has improved as a player since joining Arsenal from Cardiff City last year.



He said: "My awareness is better and my touch has improved.



"I don't give the ball away as much as I used to, but all of that comes with experience and, hopefully I can continue improving and start playing league games as well."



"To come here from Cardiff was a big step up in terms of everything.



"I am settled now and feel like one of the lads. I am not a kid in the dressing room anymore, I really feel part of it.



"I want to play every game and put pressure on the manager. I don't just want to be the guy who starts in the Carling Cup.



"I am still only 18, but I am like every other player — I want to start every game and do well for Arsenal."




No comments:

Post a Comment