Saturday, August 22, 2009

ZOLA BACKS SPURS CREDENTIALS

Gianfranco Zola is backing Tottenham to challenge the Barclays Premier League top four this season.
West Ham host their big-spending London rivals at Upton Park on Sunday
when both teams will attempt to build on opening-day victories.
But Zola is prepared for a difficult afternoon after claiming Spurs' summer transfer budget has given them a chance of figuring in the title race.
"I've been very impressed with Tottenham, they are a wonderful team," said the Hammers boss.
"In my opinion they are as good as the top four and they will certainly be competing with them until the end of the season.
"But don't forget that they have spent £60million this summer.
"I have to congratulate Harry Redknapp, he has done a wonderful, wonderful job.
"I watched them against Liverpool live last weekend and I was impressed. It is a tough game for us.
"They have improved their quality - when you spend money it's the quality of the players that you improve.

"But the organisation of the team has been excellent and there seems to be a good spirit there."
Redknapp has four international strikers at his disposal while West Ham only have Carlton Cole to lead the line, a situation they are seeking to rectify in the transfer window.

For all Spurs' playing riches, however, Zola would not exchange any of the clubs' players.
"I'm not jealous of Harry Redknapp. I do respect and admire him, he had done a great job, but I wouldn't change my team with any other team," he said.

"To make it clear I wouldn't even change my team with Real Madrid or Barcelona - maybe! I like my players and I trust them.

"They are improving, working hard and doing everything to be successful. I admire these qualities in players."

2 comments:

  1. Tottenham are a good team but always start the season with high expectations and a lot ot transfers and the result is always the same: mid-table spot. However, this season may prove different as they are playing better and the pressure for a new club to challenge the top 4 rests on City's shoulders. This may yet be the season the Spur's fans had been waiting for in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spurs will finish in the top 6, but not top 4.

    ReplyDelete