Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Carlo Ancelotti wants to extend stay at Chelsea

Carlo Ancelotti wants to extend stay at Chelsea

Blues boss believes he does not need to win a trophy to keep his job at Stamford Bridge, but still insists that his players can win the Champions League

Carlo Ancelotti says he would like to sign a new contract at Chelsea.

The Blues boss left Milan to take over at Stamford Bridge in 2009, succeeding Guus Hiddink, and the Italian guided the club to a Premier League and FA Cup double.

But this season has seen the club undergo a dip in fortunes, as they have shown patchy form to fall to fourth place after leading the league earlier in the campaign.

The 51-year-old's contract expires at the end of next season, and he is hoping to sign a new deal to prolong his stay at the west London club. And the manager also feels that he does not have to win a trophy to make a case to the club officials.

"I want to stay at Chelsea," Ancelotti told the Daily Express.

"I would like to extend my contract because I love these players and this club.

"Obviously it is just not my decision, but I don't think they require me to win a trophy to retain my position."

Chelsea's only realistic hope of winning a trophy remains the Champions League, in which they take on Manchester United in the first leg of the quarter-finals at Stamford Bridge.

And Ancelotti believes that despite not needing any silverware to protect his job, his players can do owner Roman Abramovich proud by winning the competition.

"The Champions League is a dream for this club but it cannot be an obsession," he added.

"It is a motivation. Chelsea deserve to win it. They lost the final on penalties, lost a semi-final in the last minute, they went out with a goal that was no goal at Liverpool.

"I have told my players that we have 450 minutes of football now to win the Champions League. I believe we can do that."

No comments:

Post a Comment